About Me

My photo
Deep South, United States
Consultant, inventor, mentor, chess coach,. Current projects involve No Till Farming and staving off blindness due to cataracts among other projects. I also do confidential ghost writing (without taking any published credit. My current blindness makes me put this on hold for a while. I should have one eye working again in about four months. Fact, fiction, all subjects considered. I have heard My daughter Jennifer is alive. I would love it if she were to contact me here. I understand she would like to know me. I have sent a message by circuitous route. I can only hope. My posted Email works as well. We have four decades to catch up on.
EUREKA IDEAS UNLIMITED

This blog has been up for more than a year. The intent was to generate dialogues about serious problems and ideas. It has been almost exclusively a monologue. I have not been looking for large numbers of participants.

I would be quite happy with a few dozen imaginative, creative, thoughtful and inventive people who wish to address serious problems and issues. If anyone has any ideas about how to attract such a talented group I will certainly pay attention. I am not as computer conversant as I would wish. Anyone who could help in this regard would find me receptive to sharing my skills in other areas.

Thursday, May 03, 2007

The Price of War

Cost of the War in Iraq
$436,488,514,999 and climbing sharply.
Now add to this our domestic spending against terrorism and the vast sums we are squandering in Afghanistan to very little apparent good effect.

Considering the current state of the planet, and the ecological disasters we must deal with, should we not also factor in the ecological costs of war?
To see more details, click here.

3 comments:

adamlp said...

That is phenomenally distressing.

I heard a brief sound byte of news yesterday about a new "radical" method of teaching calculus to high school students. This method involves getting students to apply calculus to solving various social/economic questions, such as modeling the cost of the Iraq war, taking distributions of government spending, death rates in Darfur, etc.

There has been a severe backlack to this program, which is supposedly quite successful, because the opponents say that the teachers are forcing "leftist values" upon the students.

I'm sorry that I don't have any more information on this but it seemed of interest.

Anthropositor said...

Political and religious correctness have been obstacles to education for many centuries.

Prejudice and superstition are quite difficult to eradicate.

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde,

The vilest deeds, like political weeds
Bloom well in fanatic air.
It is only what is good in man
That wastes and withers there.

adamlp said...

I have a bit of an off-topic question for you. First, I'll give a bit of context.

I am finding myself very interested in a vast array of subjects, many of which are so full of intricacies and complex detail that a meaningful understanding of them would require a vast amount of study.
For example, I'm interested in mathematics, computer science, philosophy, politics, history, physics, and economics to name a few broad subjects. Each one of these could branch out into nearly infinitely many directions it seems. I'm wondering how to maximize my understanding of the subjects, although, I am not interested in the subjects to a uniform degree. (For instance, I am much more interested in computer science than, say, economics.)

Of all the people I've met, you seem to have one of the broadest, deepest educations. I realize there is no simple answer to this, but I'll ask anyway:
How do you do it? Did you spend X amount of hours studying every day, did you read whatever interested you with reckless abandon, etc.

I hope this question doesn't appear to be too prying or personal. If so, I apologize in advance.

Blog Archive